Two PhD positions available at UNSW: The role of Biosolids Management in preserving Earth's resilience. Closes 30 July 2023
Date 15 May 2022
Two PhD positions are currently available under Theme 3B within the ARC Training Centre for the Transformation of Australia’s Biosolids Resource. [See also our Training page for further details]
(Click on the respective headings below for detailed project information contained in a pdf attachment):
This PhD project aims to:
- track and model carbon and nutrient flows in sludge and biosolids composition using bottom-up approaches on a systems scale and top-down approaches on a national scale; and
- investigate sustainability on a national scale by benchmarking nutrient flows against critical planetary boundaries.
This PhD project aims to:
- develop a hybrid life cycle assessment model that combines bottom-up process data and top-down input-output data to represent the biosolids processing technologies utilised across Australia to evaluate the impacts of biosolids treatment options in multiple dimensions; and
- model and quantitatively assess different scenarios of treatment option uptake across Australia.
Successful candidates will join the UNSW Water Research Centre (WRC), Sydney and the ARC’s Industrial Transformation Training Centres (ITTC) program.
Candidates should have backgrounds in:
- either civil, chemical or environmental engineering
- have the ability to conduct independent research with limited supervision
- have excellent written and communication skills
- meet expected requirements to interact regularly with industry partners.
Knowledge of sustainability assessment methods (e.g. material/substance flow analysis, life cycle assessment, input-output analysis and hybrid life cycle assessments) is not required but will be beneficial for this position.
After being selected for the project, candidates will need to be successful in securing a primary scholarship via a Research Training Program (RTP) – Domestic or University International Postgraduate Award (UIPA) or any equivalent. A secondary Top Up scholarship ($5,000) may be available to exceptional applicants. Application deadline for these scholarships is 22 Sept 2023.
Applications should be submitted to Dr Shamim Aryampa (email: email@example.com) with the subject heading “ITTC PhD 3B” and indicating:
- your specific project of interest (Projects 1 or 2 outlined above)
- a cover letter
- academic transcript
Please submit your application by 30 July 2023 to the email address above.
This is to ensure that applicants can apply for an RTP scholarship (which closes 22 September 2023) in time to commence their PhD in T1, 2024.